Login



Museum History

Before the opening of the museum on June 2, 1984, extensive restoration and rehabilitation began on the historic Everett Building to transform it into Gregg County Historical Museum.

The San Antonio architectural firm of De Lara-Almond Architects Inc. was retained, and Killis P. Almond, Jr., AIA, was the project architect.

The general contractor was David Stewart Construction Company of Longview.

The result of their expertise and many months of labor was a resounding success.

Charles A. Paramore of Museum Arts in Dallas designed and installed the exhibit areas to illustrate the development of Gregg County with antiques and historic photographs in theme settings.  Mr. Paramore arranged the entire space, as well as each display.  On the main floor, he took a rectangular room and made it magical with a variety of exhibit layouts and traffic flow features.

On February 20, 1983, friends and supporters of the museum were invited to attend the dedication of the rehabilitated Everett Building.  In the same year, the building was recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark.  After 74 years, the graceful old edifice became the home of Gregg County Historical Museum, which was officially opened to the public on June 2, 1984.

The structure of the building is the most valuable artifact at the museum.  In our community, which has very few buildings that were built before 1930, the Everett Building is extremely important.  The museum's beautiful lobby has the original inlaid tile floor and pressed tin ceiling with cherubs.  Many children have been quoted as saying that the ceiling looks like icing on a beautiful cake.

The museum celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2009, and during those years, it has hosted visitors from all 50 states and over 36 foreign countries.  Its exhibits, services and educational programs continue to expand.

Gregg County Historical Museum is a precious gem in the heart of downtown Longview.  The institution and the people who are committed to its continued success have become woven into the fabric of the community.

feature exhibits contact us partners Museum Information

The Museum

Before the opening of the museum on June 2, 1984, extensive restoration and rehabilitation began on the historic Everett Building to transform it into Gregg County Historical Museum.

Read More

Caddo Indians

Buddy Calvin Jones was born in Longview, TX on October 31, 1938.  Calvin's father, Bud Jones was one-eighth Creek, his mother, Wavie Jones, was one-quarter Cherokee.

Read More

Military Collection

Arthur Northcutt Brown (September 11, 1941 - December 7, 1984) was an avid collector through-out his life. He compiled an extensive military collection, as well as other diverse...

Read More

Contact Us

Gregg County Historical Museum
214 North Fredonia
PO Box 3342
Longview, Texas 75606
Phone: 903-753-5840
Fax: 903-753-5854
DIRECTOR

City of Longview
Longview Railroad Junction
Gregg County
Longview News Journal
Preservation Longview

Longview Museum of Fine Arts
Greenwood Cemetery Society
Historic Gregg County
Kilgore Historical Foundation
Gladewater Museum

East Texas Oil Museum
Marshall T&P Depot
Longview World of Wonders
Longview ISD
Pine Tree ISD

Spring Hill ISD
Hallsville ISD
Trinity School of Texas
Saint Mary's School

Our Location

Longview is located in beautiful East Texas on U.S.Interstate 20 and US Highway 259.

Commercial air service at Gregg County Airport is provided by American Eagle Airlines.

Rail Service is provided by Amtrak.
The Gregg County Historical Museum is located in downtown Longview at 214 North Fredonia Street

Contact Number: (903) 753-5840

Get Directions

The museum is open to the public:

Tuesday-Friday 10am-4pm

Saturday 12pm- 4pm

*Closed on Holidays
© Copyright 2010 Gregg County Historical Museum. All rights reserved.
Website designed by Media Quest.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy